Sunday, October 30, 2016

What Diwali means to you ?

                                    Diwali is a festival of lights. It is celebrated across India with much enthusiasm and excitement. As I celebrate diwali this year, I see a change in me. There is a lot of difference in the the way I used to celebrate diwali in my childhood and the excitement of diwali during those days. I have realized that Diwali means differently to each individual and at different stages of life.

So what does diwali actually means to people around us .. I tried to capture few of the observations around in the process and compiled below meaning of diwali ...


  1. To small kids (~3 years), its a mix reaction. They start hearing loud noises of tikli and bombs. Most of them are generally scared to go out. However, some brave children starts liking the noise and lights around. They start lighting fuljhadi and enjoying chaklis and anaars. 
  2. To children (3-16 years), diwali becomes the most favorite of the festivals. They get 5 days of vacations. Day time is spent playing and night time bursting crackers. Its the most joyful time of the year.
  3. To working professionals living away from native place, it is the time of the year to apply for full week leave and go to home town. 
  4. To businesses, it is the opportunity to monetize the maximum. They offer discounts and offers to attract people. Shops are decorated beautifully to lure goddess laxmi.
  5. To lower middle class people, it is the time of year to get bonuses.
  6. To housewives, it is time of year to clean the house and make delicious snacks. And not to mention it is the chance to get ready in beautiful traditional attires.
  7. To some families, it is the time of year to travel and go on vacation.
  8. To those who love shopping, this is the time of the year when shopping fever is at pick. They become berserk and spoilt for choice. The market hustle bustle makes them crazy and more than the actual stuff, they like the entire process of shopping. 
Every individual in india has a special place for diwali in their hearts and above list will be unending.. 
So what proampted me to write this blog ? It is a strange feeling which forced to me look around and observe. 

As years pass on, my excitement level is dipping. I see fervour around and think, why there are no emotions being stirred inside me. Why am I not looking forward to this festival of of lights? What has changed in me ? 

Some of it might be attributed to growing up, some might be the realization of futility of all the activities. I am yet to figure out the exact answer to it.

For now, To me Diwali means the time to relax and enjoy with family to spend time at home, prepare food and eat together.. Its the time to cleanse the inner and the outer world.


Last thought...
During childhood I always wanted to earn so that I will be able to buy and burst as many crackers as I want and now when I am earning, all the zeal has faded away. This is the irony of life.

Happy Diwali.

No comments: