Thursday, May 7, 2020

Lockdown diaries - Part 2


If you haven’t read out Part-1, do so by clicking here.


Coming to my personal experience of the lockdown.


Mid march, we were sipping our favourite Irani chai during office tea break
discussing corona of course. However, we did not know that this would be
our last Irani chai and we won’t get this for a long time in near future.
Maybe, we would have savoured it more if we knew.


Work from home started and we were told the next 2 weeks are very crucial.
Then the same thing was told again after completion of 2 weeks. And again
after completion of 2 weeks. We got the message that we are in for a long haul here.


Initially I was elated to work from home. I always wanted to be amidst natural
light and air. I hated the enclosed cubicle spaces with artificial lights. But I didn’t
know God would listen to me and grant me my wish in such a generous way.


Initially I thought lockdown meant a lot of free time and a lot of entertainment.
Also, As an introvert, I was not at all feeling anxious about lockdown.


Initially lots of efforts and time went in consuming food and digital content. 


I realized after a few days that this is not appropriate for overall well being. 
Some adjustments were done and some are still in progress. I am not feeling
guilty however feeling good that I am able to make adjustments and flex my
will power for my own good. 

I also  realized that, with work from home, it is business as usual for me
with added insecurities. Economy started to decline and so were our
company profits. 


I realized that man is a social animal and can’t be forced to be passive for long. 
We started getting invites for video calls, meets, online games, housie game
and what not.
I realized,  one is not allowed to sit idle in today’s connected world. 


While I was given the responsibility for getting the groceries for home,
it was such a strange experience. It felt criminal to step out of home.
I was not looking into the eyes of people outside and was always in a rush
to get the stuff and come back home. At night, there will only be dogs on the
streets but not cars and vehicles at which they can bark


I tried to follow a routine so that I don’t mingle office hours and family hours.
I finally started to learn the story of Mahabharat via tv - two episodes a day. I
started watching the Breaking Bad series as well. 


I was anticipating that there was a lot of free time available now, but as it curtailed,
I was hardly getting any free time. Following was allocation during weekdays


2 hours - Mahabharata 
1 hour - Breaking Bad
8 hours - Office work + Lunch
8.5 hours - Sleep
1 hour exercise + breakfast 
.5 hour dinner 
1 hour - News 
2 hour -Household chores, groceries, whatsapp games, Ludo , relatives and family calls. 

As of today, lockdown is extended for another 15 days till 17th May.
Looks like 2020 will go as a quarantine year. May we all come out of
it physically and mentally healthy to move on with life.

No comments: